Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday, September 3

Quick entry today.... We have been busy with Jojo's soccer, family things, and catching up on housework...and just enjoying a day to be somewhat lazy.

Abby from the TAPS group called me yesterday and gave me some terrific news.   Dr M is in our insurance network.  Our copay for Zack's appointments with her would only be $25.   And if that weren't good enough - she let me know that Zack has made "great strides" in his group participation.   He actually took part in a role playing assignment and was an active member in the activity.  Hearing that thrilled me...but then in the back of my mind I thought they really should let this be a lesson to themselves, since they wanted to give Zack the boot after one week of TAPS group.  Abby needs to remember how they were going to handle the problem of Zack next time there is a similar situation...because I am sure there will be, and "Family Services" cannot just give up on people that need assistance because they are mentally ill to the point that they don't realize they need help.

Another little happiness for me yesterday was what I felt when I picked Zack up after group.  He was outside standing with two other kids that looked about his age.  The three of them stood near enough that they appeared to be chatting and laughing together.  As I drove closer to them, it was confirmed....they were talking to each other.   All three were smoking.  Everybody that goes to groups smokes... I've said it before, but it kind of amazes me that this body of the population - the mentally ill - all smokes. 

Zack is still obviously very concerned about the group home hope I have.  He brings that possibility up several times a day now.  Out of the blue he will search us out and ask about it.....how he can get out of going.   If he got a job would he have to go?  Are we sure he has to go to a group home?  Can't he keep living here?   When he was a goofball kid, I used to joke with my friends that he'd wind up living in my basement til he was 35.  He was such a smart silly kid, but had no ambition and no motivation to do anything with his life.  I still remember laughing about that... but it was just funny back then.  I never imagined it may be the serious reality of life for him.  It can't be....we cannot allow it to be.

Now that we are really keeping Zack on a tight leash... he has no gas to drive anywhere, no cash, no freedom... he hasn't been able to do drugs.  He knows we're onto him as far as his "magic mushroom" hunts go.  He cannot even step out of the house without our eyes observing his antics.  With his head clear of other chemical enhancements, I now have hope that the Saphris may be doing some good.  Not only has he slept through the nights and been able to rise by 8 am...not nap all afternoon,  I've seen a couple small glimpses of his old personality seeping out from under the shell of schizophrenia.  Today Zack actually laughed about something.  A small sort of sarcastic chuckle, but it was there.. I saw his face and I heard it.  Zack was "here" enough to be listening to our conversation and put in his two cents with the small laugh.  That small laugh was big.

Weekends are always long and draggy for him, though.  Smoking and showering, computer gaming, and eating....that's his life.  For now....

To Be Continued.....

Letting an elephant run him over for the amusement of his little sister










No comments:

Post a Comment